- India occupies a strategic position in the Indian Ocean, with a large Exclusive Economic Zone, EEZ
- Of about 2.172 million square kilometers in the area along 7500 Km coastal line, shelf area of 1,641,514 KM2. A major challenge facing India in the 21st century is to continue to advance in science to provide for the sustainable development and management of this vast realm. There is a need for well trained marine scientists in a range of disciplines within India. As Marine Biotechnology is interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary subject, Department of Marine Biotechnology was newly created as per the syndicate resolution 2008.176. dt.18.9 2008. Department offers 2 year M.Sc. Programme on Marine Biotechnology, and M.Phil and Ph.D Programmes in Microbial Biotechnology.
- Mission: Creating an arena for bioprospecting of marine organisms through innovative teaching
- and research.
- Vision: Using the tools of Biotechnology, the vast and potential marine source to be explored
- for newfoods, -pharma,-netura, -cosmaceuticals and energy to meet out the needs.
- M.Sc - Marine Biotechnology and M.Phil - Microbial Biotechnology curricula are prepared enabling students for UGC, CSIR, NET and competitive exams. Department has "Munner Meet" science club which frequently meets which is organized by students and scholars.
Research programs are supported by UGC, DST, DBT, DAE, DoEn, DRDO, ICAR, Coir Board Govt. bodies. With the research grant support we have publications in peer reviewed journals with impact factor. The Department's faculty members teach and perform research in the areas of Marine Biotechnology, Aquaculture, Bioactive molecules, Bioremediation, Biofuel, Biofertilizer, Genome wide hunt and Bioinformatics and also offers Ph.D programme in the field of Microbial Biotechnology.